The Establishment of Casement's G.F.C. 7th February 1940
On Sunday 7th February 1940 a Meeting was held in St. Mary's P.S., Rev. S. McClafferty in the Chair. Messrs. Laverty and McKeown were present form the S.W. Antrim Committee. After the meeting was addressed by Fr. McClafferty and Mr. Laverty a motion was proposed by Mr. Joe McLaughlin and seconded by Mr. Eamon O'Kane that a G.A.A. Club be formed in this District and was unanimously passed. A proposal by Mr. Eamon O'Kane, seconded by Mr. Phelim Duffin that the club be known as 'The Roger Casement Gaelic Club' was unanimously adopted. Roger Casement was chosen as he once lived for a period in what is now the Bethlehem Abbey.
The Rev. Fr. Diamond consented to be Patron. The following Committee was then elected: -
Chairman Mr. John McAtamney
Vice-Chairman Mr. Malcolm McCann
Treasurer Mr. Phelim Duffin
Secretary Mr. Art O'Kane
Committee: - Messrs. Joe McLaughlin, Robert McQuillan, Anthony O'Neill, Pat McTague and Eamon O'Kane. At the first meeting Messrs. Joe McMullan and James O'Hara were co-opted on the Committee.
The first pitch was a field in the Largy, rented from Dan Convery. Then a field a Gortgole Road was rented from Peter Cassidy, followed by a parochial field rented on the same road and a further field (also on Gortgole Road) rented from Luke O' Neill.
The present pitch, at Gortgole Road was bought in 1963 from John Rainey. The pitch, named after Fr. Donagh 0' Kane a brother of the first Chairman and Secretary, was opened in 1965 with the assistance of a loan of £1,000 from the Antrim County Board.
The changing facilities adjacent to the pitch consist of a former stone built cottage converted to two changing rooms, with a tearoom and toilets added later.
The club hall is situated at the lower end of the main street of Portglenone.
The First Casement's Team Selected
(to play Toome on 30/03/41)